I hate my stove and it is my fault. It has a layer of grease with dog fur in the back 2 burners The front burners are the only 2 that work. and there is no dog hair on them. The dog hair is actually what I have been cleaning up lately but some gets airborne? I am so depressed when I look at my stove that I could cry!
Can I get this cleaned up without taking the stove apart?
Post by notsomessyshell on Nov 4, 2008 12:15:37 GMT -5
Electric burners, right? They don't work at all or you don't use them? If they don't work I would just use some degreaser type cleaner. Soak a paper towel with cleanser, press it down on top of the burner and let it sit on it for a bit to start breaking down the grease. Wipe it off, toss the towel and if necessary do it again. I have done this and it worked really well.
You made me LOL about the dog hair stuck in the grease on the back burners. Only us, right? Only us.... I know it is depressing in your own house, but try and see the lighter side of it.
As far as cleaning it goes, maybe a degreaser to loosen the grease, and then wipe it all up? Check on flammability though, not sure if it would be safe on a stove.
It might help to set a timer for five minutes, clean as much as you can, and leave it alone. Then come back later in the day for another five minutes. And then do it again until it is gone. Otherwise it may become too frustrating.
You can do this! Dog hair stuck in grease is not going to undo you! It is just your own special unique brand of squalor and of course you can get out of it!
The gift of life is living life.
PM Me if you would like to check out my poetry page
It is a gas stove and the 2 back burners have not worked for years. I knew the grease was splattering on them and building up but you really couldn't tell till the dog hair.They do pop off and the stove top comes off too then you see gunk inside the stove top. It is gross and sticky and my fault. It is my job to clean the stove and kitchen when I cook. I just get so depressed and am in a wheelchair in the kitchen so I really do not want to take it apart even though I have to. I guess the first thing I should do is clean the greasy hairy gunk off the top and then worry about the rest. I have a lot of degreaser stuff that seldom gets used so now would be the time.My room mate might help if I ask him it is just he will *** at me and we might argue or I will cry which I try to avoid. It helps so much just to know that you all are here and care.
biological laundry liquid is really good for cleaning anything greasy, just pour some on and give it an hour or so for the enzyms to work then wipe it off. works for frying pans roasting pans etc too, just add to hot water and soak.
He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying. Friedrich Nietzsche Motivation follows Action
Post by CaringFriend on Nov 4, 2008 22:22:58 GMT -5
I have found that the best degreaser is dish detergent, especially Dawn. The less water you use, the stronger it will be.
Soak a rag in hot water that has Dawn in it and place the rag on the worst part. Do something else in the kitchen for 10 minutes, then squeeze out the rag and wipe at the area on which the rag had lain. Continue this process and slowly, but surely, the grease will be gone.
Use an old toothbrush to dip in the hot Dawn water and scrub at corners, edges, and tiny places.
Then each day just give the stove top a quick swipe with a dish cloth and dish water or with Windex and a paper towel.
This isn't as bad as you fear, honest!
Every problem has a solution. Keep trying until you find something that works.
I'll bet if you clean off all that you can from the top of the stove, your roommate will be less upset when/if you have him remove the whole top so that you can clean out the "gunk" that has gotten underneath it.
If it is any comfort to you, I clean off my stove top nearly every day; I am NOT a "messy" cook; and I *still* get that build-up of "gunk" underneath the stove top. Some jobs simply are an inevitable part of housekeeping. This is one of them! LOL!! (You can tell your roommate that I said that.)
Post by joyinvirginia on Nov 5, 2008 1:51:57 GMT -5
I use windex to clean my stovetop, also a degreaser or pinesol or something like that should work. Let the liquid do the work for you. Spray the windex or whatever cleaner on the surface, let it sit for about 4 or 5 minutes, then use a paper towel or old rag you can throw out to wipe up the gunk. Have a trash can near you and dispose of the icky rag or paper towel right away. Get the top looking good, then worry about the bottom. Joy in Virginia
Post by clearwaterush on Nov 6, 2008 8:59:04 GMT -5
Joy in Virginia: Dishes were stacked on the stove area, and I did them yesterday and put them up in the cabinet. That left the top of the stove to do. I didn't do it and decided to do it before I went to bed last night. There were yellow grease spot dotted around on it, etc. and a finger through it left a big track. THEN I remember reading your post and tried the WINDEX. Oh mky Gosh, I let the windex do the work...I had no idea that cat hair was on the stove at all until I looked at the napkin with it's hair and gunk. It took me 3 times of the windex proceedure and just wiping it up where I can now see that I actually have an oven clock! And of course the ugly yellow grease spots are history. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HINT!
Post by joyinvirginia on Nov 7, 2008 1:23:58 GMT -5
You are welcome! My dad was just like the father in that movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" - he ALWAYS had a bottle of Windex handy, and a roll of paper towels, and used it to clean just about everything. That is where I learned this. Terrific progress! Joy in Virginia